X problems

Sorry if this is obvious or in a FAQ somewhere, and if it is, please
feel free to point me to it.  I am asking here because I have a sort
of working X system.  It is running Window Maker.

First of all, the keyboard is messed up.  When I exit X, I see why I
guess.  It is looking for xkbcomp in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb, which is
a sym link to /etc/X11/xkb.  Either way, xkbcomp is in /usr/X11R6/bin.
Where is it looking for it in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb?  I could make a
sym link, but I would rather fix it right.

Also, Window Maker comes up okay at first, but no background.  After
opening a window, the icons on the right border get all grainy, as
well as the title bars.  Is this too low a resolution?  I forget what
order of resolutions X tries to start itself in.  It looks like it is
in 1200x1024, but I don't know how many colors.  I can't see that many
messages in the console.  As well as the messed up colors, the top and
bottom of the desktop/root window is okay, but the sides look like
letterbox movies' top and bottom.  Nothing gets chopped off, but it's
just pushed in.  Why is this?

TIA for any help.

-Ken

--