Re: downloading Debian

On Tuesday 12 December 2000 03:35, Xucaen wrote:
> this sounds like fun.  :-) I've been
> contemplating my options and I think installing
> from the base disk sets would be good. it would
> at least give me a better understanding of and
> more control over what is actually being
> installed. (as opposed to installing
> _everything_)
> Is the apt-get difficult to set up? also, does it
> have a way of picking up where it left off in the
> event of a lost carrier? (33.6 and still
> modulating!)

If you are using a 33.6 then this is definetely the way to go :).  You
can have a fully funtional environment and still save 300 megs of
downloading.  apt-get is very functional and easy to use.  The task
packages will make large sections of the setup easy.  There is a little
front end for this called tasksel.  Basically something like 'apt-get
install task-x-window-sysem' will install everything you need for X and
resolve any dependencies.  And if a connection gets dropped or a
download times out it can be resumed.

HTH,

jt