Sound Card Blues

Hello all
I have potato 2.2 installed on my system, I also have a Sound Blaster awe
1024 card. A friend debian-user very kindly gave me a hand recompiling the
kernel to get the Sound Blaster drivers installed (this was magic as far as I
remember nothing comes to mind about how this was achieved). I have
installed freeamp as my mp3 player and I want to play mp3's from my windows
partition. The partition is mounted correctly and freeamp sees the files I
want to play. However when I try to run the files it tells me that audio is
not configured properly. I have looked through the list of HOWTO's in the
/usr/doc/HOWTO directory but can find nothing about sound specifically.
I would like to know how to check the Kernel configuration to see if the
right drivers were installed, and install them if necessary, also If I do
have the correct drivers installed how do I configure audio to get the card
working.
Thank you for taking the time to read this message
John-Mark