Re: exim (II)

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 06:41:26PM -0200, chiappa@centroin.com.br wrote:
> Hello!,
>
> I am running potato at home. I still have problems trying to make exim
> work. I think something is wrong in my exim.conf file. I will appreciate
> very much any help regarding this matter!

I'm no mail expert, so bear with me.

> 1) I've already posted this before, in spite the kindly answers I receive
> still I have the same problem: fetchmail is not able to fetch emails
> from my ISP. Here follows a copy of one session with fetchmail:
>
> myaccount@micro:~$ fetchmail --protocol pop3 --username myaccount
> myISP.com
> Enter password for myaccount@myISPcom: (my password)
> 3 messages for myaccount at myISP.com (7943 octets).
> reading message 1 of 3 (889 octets) fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost
> failed
> fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from myISP.com
> fetchmail: Query status=10 (SMTP)
>
> what could be wrong?

it looks like fetchmail is doing its job, but that local delivery fails.
So indeed it has something to do with your exim setup, fetchmail seems oke.

> 2) Following the Christoph Groth's suggestion, I looked in the
> MAIL part of the inetd.conf file, but in my case it is empty. Is this a
> problem? I'm connecting to my ISP trough a dial-up connection only.

depends. Did you set up exim to run as a daemon process, then it's okee,
but if you selected exim working from inetd then there should be a line
there linking the smtp port to exim like:

smtp   stream   tcp   nowait   mail   /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs

> 3) Any mail a try to send to the external world, using mutt or mail, goes
> to /var/spool/mail/myaccount and sits there for ever.

the only mail that should get there is mail send to you. You're sure that
all outbound mail winds up there? Or are them all delivery failior messages?

> 4) This is not a problem, just a question. The file
> /var/spool/mail/myaccount is a symbolic link to /var/mail/myaccount. This
> is normal?

hm, I've /var/spool/mail symlinked to /var/mail.

--
groetjes, carel