Problems with my modem

Hi, I started telling that i didn't can to connect to the internet using wvdial ("Can't connect with the modem") or the x program ("The connection was suddenness ended"). So you told me to use the pppconfig and the pon to connect to the internet. But when I try that I receive a message, not exactly that, but like that: "Sorry, but the kernel doesn't have support for Modems." But I am new in Linux yet so I don't know yet how to make the support in my kernel, may you help me please?