Re: Installed from floppies, mounted ext pcmcia cdrom, apt-get update hangs

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 11:54:44AM -0500, DTi4565459@aol.com wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 08:20:26PM -0500, DTi4565459@aol.com wrote:
> Okee, I think this has top do with you not being on-line whilst doing this:)
> Go have a look at /etc/apt/sources.list. This is a list of places where apt
> will look for package files and package lists. You'll find there some lines
> describing your cd's (deb cdrom:...) and the standard lines describing where
> to go on the internet for packages (deb http:...).  Uncomment the latter ones
> and you should be fine.
>
> NEW: Thank you  I tried.  Now when I try to  apt-get update, error message is:
>
> "E: Malformed line 1 in source list"
>
> Took another look at sources.list:  It reads:
>
> "Deb file://mnt/debian/dists/stable/  "   I don't know what is wrong with
> this,
> as I can migrate to there on the cdrom and find the Contents-i386.gz file

there should be no "deb file..." line there, but only "deb cdrom:..." lines.
Probably a left-over from you trying with dselect's-Access menu earlier on.
Try to remove all lines but the "deb cdrom:..." lines, and then do the apt
thingy: "apt-get update && apt-get install ...".  Really hopes this will get
you rolling.

> And bytheway, it's better to keep such discussions on the list, as then you
> would benifit from the combined knowledge, not only to anwser your questions
> but also to correct my anwsers:)
>
> Thanks for the clue.  Apparently my e-mail system does not do that
> automatically,
> but I will try manually.  Thanks again,  dave

it worked this time:)
oh, and could you try to get your mailer to quote properly, i.e.
to add ">" before all lines of the original post like mine does.
Otherwise it's impossible to see what you wrote or what I wrote.

--
groetjes, carel