Re: tunneling ftp through ssh

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000, Erik Steffl wrote:
>   from what I've read in ssh docs/faq it is not possible because ftp
> uses two connections... (control and data).

Just use passive mode. This will easily secure the control connection (port
21) which carries passwords and other stuff (such as filenames).

Securing the data connection requires help from the ftp program AND passive
mode as well, I think. Check out lftp, it may screw up when talking to
WarFTPD (which ncftp knows how to talk to just fine), but it sure is one
hell of a ftp program and AFAIK supports ssh tunnels natively. It might very
well know how it should secure a passive-mode data connection.

> > My understanding is that this method requires passive transfer, which I
> > am using.  I also tried without passive and got just the "list failed"
> > part of the error.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm...

I usually do "ssh -l login -L2121:ftphost:21 remotehost", leave that shell
open, ftp localhost:2121, passive, start transfer, logout from ssh shell (if
I don't care that the ssh tunnel will collapse shound the data connection
die for some reason).

  Henrique Holschuh