X weirdness after today's woody upgrade

After running an upgrade of woody today I notice two strange things
happening with X:

1.  If I try to run X as a user, I get the message:

X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.

The second line in Xserver says "Console" so a user should be permitted
to run X.

2.  I had set X to run the version 3 xserver-svga, but version 4.01
runs instead.

However, /etc/X11/X is a symlink to /usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA and
/etc/X11/Xserver says:

/usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA
Console

The first line in this file is the full pathname of the default X server.
The second line shows who is allowed to run the X server:
RootOnly
Console      (anyone whose controlling tty is on the console)
Anybody

Prior to this upgrade I was able to run the version 3 server as a user
(the reason I want version 3 is that xserver-xfree86 won't allow
1024x768 resolution on my Cirrus 5430 card).  I hadn't shut X down for
several days, so the problem might have been with an earlier upgrade.

Does anyone know what is broken here?

Bob