Re. : New to Debian -- simple questions

See the /etc/motd textfile and change it to whatever you want (or delete
it).
You may also check your rc files. On my system (debian woody distro), there
is a /etc/rc.S/S55bootmisc.sh that updates the motd at bootup.

Minh Quang.

Pour :    "Debian User" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
cc :

Objet :   New to Debian -- simple questions

Okay, I recently switched to Debian after using RedHat and
Mandrake-Linux for 2-3 years... Right off the bat, there are two
things I'd like to change.

1) Get rid of the login message that displays at the console after
typing in my name and password. I read through /etc/login.defs and
there was a reference to a file that I thought this message was coming
from, but the file didn't exist.

"This e-mail is intended for the exclusive use of the individual or
entity named above and may constitute information that is priviledged or
confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure . Dissemination ,
distribution , forwarding or copying of this e-mail by anyone other than the
intended recipient is prohibited . If you have received this e-mail in error
, please notify us and completly delete or destroy any and all electronic or
other copies of the original message"