Re: apache woes.

	Subject: apache woes.
	Date: Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 04:37:32PM -0500

Quoting Jim Lynch(jwl@sgi.com):
> I looked at the bugs on www.debian.org and didn't see mine described, so
> I thought I bounce it off of this group.
>
> I installed potato.  That was my first mistake.  I haven't been able to
> get samba working nor will apache work.  Nothing seems wrong with the
> install, but I can't get pages to display right.  There is an index.html
> file in the /var/www directory but apache isn't looking for it there.
> Sorry about the wasted bandwidth.  Somehow I sent the message before I
> finished.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to get apache working again?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim.

Jim

  I am also having a problem with Apache on a box I installed from the
CD's.  I have it working on a Slink upgraded to Potato box so I have a
working example to compare things with.  I have been working on this
problem box, off and on, for over a week now and just now found what
was wrong.  I will 'try' to explain how I fixed it.

Ok, the main problem was 404 and 403 errors.  I could run some of the
index.html files but not all of them.  I was unable to run any files,
dww and dhelp, from the index.html located in /var/www.  I just
added/changed entries the the packaged /var/www/index.html file.

Solutions:
I found that in the /var/log/apache/error.log an error message was
logged each time I force-reload(ed) apache
[crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port 80

I stopped everything I could think but still got the message unitl I
noticed that httpd was still running even if I had stopped Apache.  I
then killed httpd and restarted Apache (force-reload) and the error
messages stopped, apache started normally.  The error messages then
pointed me to an unknown server 'host.mtntop.home'.

I grepped the conf files on both systems.  On the bad box it had
/etc/apache/httpd.conf:DocumentRoot /var/www/host.mtntop.home
and the good box
/mnt/etc/apache/srm.conf:DocumentRoot /var/www

I commented out the DocumentRoot /var/www/host.mtntop.home line,
made sure that srm.conf was correct, restarted apache (force-reload)
and now most everything works.

I had added a bunch of earlier hints given to help fix Apache problems
but they (of course) didn't help.  My conf files were fsck badly.

Hope that this might be of use to you.

Wayne
--
Keyboard : Instrument used to enter errors into computer.