gnome-terminal and xterm-debian

	I searched the archives and thought I would get a million hits
	for "xterm-debian" but got 5 that provided no help.  My problem
	is I can't figure out how to get gnome-terminal off
	xterm-debian.  I can of course "TERM=xterm" from the command
	line but I would like to set it permenetly to xterm.  I set
	TERM to xterm for xterm windows by using export but it doesn't
	stick for gnome-terminal.  I need to do this because the servers
	here at work run redhat and pine won't read xterm-debian.
	Thanks,
	kent

--
  "In order to make an apple pie from scratch,
      you must first create the universe."