X Keymap

Hello, I am new to Debian, but I have been using Linux for a while now.
First of all, I think debian is really a great distribution, I think its
perfect for me.

Now about my problem. I live in Southamerica and I often have to use
accents when I type in spanish. (áéíóú)
But I also own an english keyboard (not about to change it, because I love
it, it has a cool trackball attached, and I'm used to it).
My normal solution usally is to set XF86Setup to US/w deadkeys.

Looking at my XF86Config file I see the following:

Section "Keyboard"
   Protocol        "Standard"
   AutoRepeat      500 30
   LeftAlt         Meta
   RightAlt        Meta
   ScrollLock      Compose
   RightCtl        Control
   XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
   XkbTypes        "default"
   XkbCompat       "default"
   XkbSymbols      "us(pc101)"
   XkbGeometry     "pc"
   XkbRules        "xfree86"
   XkbModel        "pc105"
   XkbLayout       "us_intl"
EndSection

The expected behaviour is that the apostrophe (') will wait until
another key is pressed, and if it is a vowel, it will accent it.
Same thing with the double quotes and the tilde.

However, it only beeps. And if set, it will only work with certain
programs, like mutt for instance.

Appreciating your help in advance,

Sebastian Silva