Re: Laptops for Debian GNU/Linux? (about TOSHIBA)

Hi possible notebook buyers

I can understand some negative feelings toward Toshiba notebook
because it took some tweekings before booting into normal multiuser
mode without freezing Keyboard. (I saw a nasy comment in this
thread)

In conclusion, Linux installation to notebook PC may be not
as easy as desktop but it can be done.  I agree that it is fun!!!

I have Toshiba Dynabook Portage 3300 CT and wrote an install
guide at http://www.aokiconsulting.com/pc/ for this PC which
is linked from U.T. site previous thread mention below.
(My PC is one of the ultrathin model)

Back then, I was RedHat user but my Toshiba system has been happily
upgraded to Debian Potato using network install.

At any rate, key is to get gpm mouse repeater intialized before
pcmcia modules started by sysvinit script.  This misteriously
solves problem in both RedHat and Debian install process.

I do not see this with my old IBM TP230Cs so suspecting some
kind of system initialization problem specific to Toshiba's
mouse and keyboard attached to the system.

(Inserting Bash read command after pcmcia but before gpm
initialization also solved this problem of frozen KB.
You can ssh/telnet throgh network so Kernel is alive!)

Also, Toshiba provides special diskimage CD for WINDOZE.
Without modifying batch script, you can not install them to
partition like /dev/hda2. (Depend on model and country.
MS official CD did not come with Toshiba but disk image provided can
be installed without problem into repartitioned HD if proper
care is taken.)

Osamu

PS: Standard sysvinit (Debian/Redhat) seems to initialze pcmcia
    before starting gpm.