Re: [OT] Navigator 4.75 hangs, any patches?

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 10:00:12AM -0500, mikpolniak wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Dec 2000 22:19:54 -0500 (EST), J. Bruce Fields said:
>
> > On 3 Dec 2000, Krzys Majewski wrote:
> >
> >  > Gr. Navigator 4.75 hangs on some pages, eating all the CPU, and making
> >  > all  open netscape  windows  unuseable.  This is  on  an i686,  mostly
> >  > potato. Any patches/workarounds for this sort of problem? -chris
> >
> >  Hm, I have problems with netscape misbehaving, but it's not so
> >  particular--there aren't particular pages I know of that are guaranteed to
> >  make it hang.

One thing I've noticed that has helped considerable, although I
currently use Mozilla nightlies more than NS, is to download and install
the Java Runtime Environment from the Blackdown folks
(http://www.blackdown.org).  The 1.3.0 version includes the plugin for
NS 4.x and I do know it works quite well with 4.75.  Unfortunately, the
packaging system won't let you de-install the NS java package without
removing all of Communicator.  Grrrr!  So now I'm stuck with two
versions of Java eating drive space.  Hurry up Mozilla!

:)

- Nate >>

P.S. The Blackdown JRE is supposed to work with Mozilla, but Moz pukes
on it for some reason.

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | heartily, but good