Re: Modules not showing up after compile - why?

On 04 Dec 2000, Harry Henry Gebel wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 12:16:35PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > However, lsmod and modprobe show nothing: there is no /proc/ksyms or
> > /proc/modules.
> >
> > Questions: why don't these things show up, and how does the kernel work
> > if the modules aren't there?
>
> Did you run LILO after you installed the kernel? If you didn't you are
> probably still booting into your old kernel. If you run `dmesg` you will
> get a list off all the boot-up messages; the first one will include the
> data the kernel was compiles. If you enabled modules you should have
> /proc/modules even if it's empty (assuming you have /proc mounted).

You're right; I had the wrong kernel loaded!

Now that I've got the right one, I again can't use sound or access my
parallel port.  I get:

	The kernel does not recognize /dev/sda1 as a block device
          (maybe insmod driver?)

	Opening /dev/audio: no such device.

I don't know which drivers to install with insmod. Anyway, I thought the
kernel was supposed to call these things automatically?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.2 (Windows-free zone)
Over 100 book reviews: http://www.cix.co.uk/~acampbell/bookreviews/

"Palo y tente tieso." (Spanish proverb)
Free translation: "Holdfast is your only dog."