Re: disable remote connections to local ports?

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 12:07:30PM -0800, Krzys Majewski wrote:
> How can I set things up so that connections to a local port, say 6666,
> are only accepted  if they are coming from  localhost? More generally,
> how can I shut off all outside access to my machine, except for the ssh
> daemon? I've got
>
> ALL: ALL
>
> in /etc/hosts.deny, and
>
> ALL: 127.0.0.1
>
> in /etc/hosts.allow, but I guess this isn't doing the trick?

Nope, because this only works for stuff run from inetd (i.e. uncommented lines
in /etc/inetd.conf). Unfortunately, stuff like apache and sometimes exim aren't
run from inetd. In that case, your only option is to configure the programs
themselves (/etc/apache/httpd.conf, /etc/exim.conf). All this IMHO.

	Agt the Walker.