Re: Which gives an error message.

--- Begin Message ---
Tim,
On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 07:43:57PM -0800, Tim Uckun wrote:
> I am having an odd problem when I type which "something" it says
> shell-init: could not get directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
> directories: nosuch file or directory
>
> Can anybody clue me in as to why it does this? Do I need to install it all
> over again?

You have removed the directory that you have changed to:

bjb@seal ~ 543 $ which something
bjb@seal ~ 544 $ cd xx
bjb@seal ~/xx 545 $ mkdir yy
bjb@seal ~/xx 546 $ cd yy
bjb@seal ~/xx/yy 547 $ (cd ..; rmdir yy)
bjb@seal ~/xx/yy 548 $ which something
shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
bjb@seal ~/xx/yy 549 $ cd
bjb@seal ~ 550 $ which something
bjb@seal ~ 551 $

You have only to execute "cd" to get to your home directory and you
will be able to execute "which" again.

If it is your home directory that has been removed, then you can
cd /tmp to get to an existing directory and you will be able to run
commands again.

If neither "cd /tmp" nor "cd" works, then likely you will have
to reinstall again.

----

By the way, your question appears as a reply to an unrelated
thread in the list.  If you want to post a new question, you should
create a new message rather than replying to an existing one.
Then your question will appear as an unanswered question instead
of as an answer to a different question, and you might get
more (and better) answers.

--
bjb@achilles.net

--- End Message ---