Re: A lilo config question

  1) you can also create a lilo entry that will boot debian into a run
level that does not start xdm.

  2) you can also specify run level at lilo prompt during boot

  3) the other option is to change default run level to a run level that
does not start xdm, see /etc/nittab and look for lines like thses:

# The default runlevel.
id:2:initdefault:

  I'd go with option 3) since it is most portable way, most unices have
a way to specify default runlevel and run levels are used for different
start-up configurations.

  The sad thing is that xdm is started in all runlevels (except of
single user, reboot, and halt):

jojda:~>find /etc -name \*xdm
/etc/init.d/xdm
/etc/rc0.d/K01xdm
/etc/rc1.d/K01xdm
/etc/rc2.d/S99xdm
/etc/rc3.d/S99xdm
/etc/rc4.d/S99xdm
/etc/rc5.d/S99xdm
/etc/rc6.d/K01xdm
/etc/pam.d/xdm
/etc/X11/xdm

  isn't that quite broken default? I mean traditionally there is some
regular (multi-user, all networking stuff up) run level that starts X
and run level that does not start X. What's the point of having
different run levels if all of them are same?

  anyway, you can always delete S99xdm in runlevel that you want to use
as console only run level.

	erik