Re: Sound Blaster 16 Module

  IMO you'd better go with alsa.

  you need to recompile the kernel with modularized sound support, but
do not pick any actual sound modules. See the docs in /usr/src/linux (or
wherever your linux kernel sources are) to see how to compile kernel.

  get the alsa stuff then, you need at least alsa-source (that's for
alsa modules) to build the modules, I just got all the alsa packages
I've found (not the obsolete ones), here's what I've got:

jojda:~>dpkg -l alsa\*|grep ^ii
ii  alsa-base      0.5.9d-5       ALSA driver common files
ii  alsa-headers   0.5.9d-5       ALSA driver header files
ii  alsa-modules-2 0.5.9c-1+1.00  Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
(drivers)
ii  alsa-modules-2 0.5.9d-4+jojda Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
(drivers)
ii  alsa-source    0.5.9d-5       ALSA driver source
ii  alsa-utils     0.5.9b-1       Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
(utils)
ii  alsaconf       0.4.3b-3       ALSA configurator

  see the docs for alsa source on how to build alsa modules, the docs
are in usualy place /usr/doc/alsa-source

  it's all pretty painless but read the docs carefully.

	erik