Re: Few question of newbie | need urgent help.

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 21:49:56 +0600, New Star Service Company wrote:
> 1)  I install Debian 2.1 today

The current release is 2.2.

>      I use #pon in root for dial, connection ok , everything ok.
>      but when i use $pon command in my user account (/home/satyajit), I
> received
>      error message : /usr/bin/pon : /usr/sbin/pppd : permission denied
>      I use this # chmod u+s /usr/bin/pon

suid bits don't work for shell scripts.

>                    # chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd
>      but same error.

pppd cannot be executed by all users. You could chmod a+x it. The proper
solution though is to add those users that are allowed to start pppd to the
group that pppd belongs to (on my 2.2 system, that's group "dip").

HTH,
Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,