RE: Partitioning disk

Hi.

In older days  a /usr/local was recommended because this is where you would
install all the "alien" software on your system. By alien I mean, Things
that did not come prepared for your system, or things you compiled yourself.

Ourdays it is quite rare (at least from what I see), to find 'things that
end up in /usr/local', so why put it in a different partition?. Dont!.

The best use of putting the /usr/local on another partition is that you can
delete your root partition install a new distrbution without having to
install all those extra packages you put in /usr/local.

Personally I find it quite usefull. Netscape 6, wxwindows libs, fox libs,...
by default install in /usr/local

With /usr its probably another story. What happens if you over install
software (mostly oing in /usr), or logs overgrow too much, mail starts
bulking,.... Your ONLY / partition has  no space to work with... could be a
problem. This is avoided if you put / on one partition, /usr on another,
/var on a third. The  /usr/local and /home for portability (between
distributions) and security may go on other partitions.

It would probably be very desirable if  important partitions where on
different hard disks, thus not sharing the load and heating of a stressed
system!

This all depends on whether you are going to have a lot of load on your
system or if it is going to highly stressed.

For a home user all this may be unnecesary !.

Of course I may be wrong...

Bye, Mark.