Re: non-free packages

Richard Hunt <richard_hunt_scotland@hotmail.com> writes:
RH> Are there official cd images?
RH> I have bought three CDs called "Official Debian 2.2" CDs 1-3.
RH> From the Linux Emporium in the UK.

Part of the point of the DFSG is that everything in Official Debian
(TM) is free to redistribute pretty much without restriction.
Non-free contains, among other things, software that you can't charge
money for to redistribute or software that can't be used
"commercially"; it's easier for CD vendors to categorically exclude
non-free (including Netscape) than to go through on a
package-by-package basis and include the things that are legal to
distribute.

Note that non-US is different from non-free, and there do exist CD
images which contain non-US on them.  I don't know details on this,
though.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell