Re: Debian / Redhat comparison

In Ard Righ's email, 02-12-2000:
> ([<> On 1 Dec 2000, some witty mortal wrote: <>])
>
> > RedHat has kickstart which greatly simplifies the install process.
> > Currently users here can fill out a webform and get a customized boot
> > disk that will do the right thing, just boot from it go to lunch and
> > when you come back the machine is partitioned, installed and configured,
> > just just type your NIS password and go.
>
>  I must say, scripted installs of OSes are such a great thing, I'm
> suprised the Linux distributions haven't done similar to this earlier.
>
>  NT4, while not the greatest operating system, has one saving grace in
> it's unattended installs run from a boot floppy. You boot from the
> disk, wait until the files are installing (from network for most
> installs I've done like this), then take the disk out and walk away.
>  When you return, the install is complete, and you can get about
> installing software (and rebooting a few times ;o)).
>
>  I think the package layout of Linux would be ideal for this sort of
> installation. Especially with the ability to install an OS from an FTP.
>
>  Of course, it wouldn't be the easiest thing to setup, and like NT4,
> configuring the unattended install files would take some time and
> research. But the end result would mean easier installation, if you for
> example, reinstalled from scratch.
>
>  If the Debian folks have the inclination to look at this sort of
> thing, I'm sure it would add so much more to Debian's already great
> list of benefits to users (especially the corporate ones).
[bobbit .sig]

AFAIK, the debian boot-floppies team is already looking into this
issue for their next version - there has been a innumerable amount of
emails to boot-floppies about unattended installs.

Also, what's really nice about the kickstart-like utiilities for linux
is that if you have a large amount of systems, configured to network
by DHCP, you don't even need monitors for the install.  It will
install the OS and any packages that you need (from a specific host,
if needed), without even needing a keyboard.  This simplifies setting
up beowulf clusters immensely(sp).

Michael Janssen
CNS Lab Administrator
janssen@cns.uni.edu