Re: Redhat to Debian

on Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 10:09:43AM +0100, Nicolas SABOURET (Nicolas.Sabouret@limsi.fr) wrote:
> I recently read a sort of HOWTO for converting a linux redhat >=6.0 into
> a debian 2.2 (potato).
> I just couldn't find the document again.
> Could someone give me the address where I could find it ?

Never heard of such a beast.

If you're working on a single box, clear yourself some disk space (or
buy a new disk), install a base Debian system, copy over your user files
($HOME), and rock'n'roll.

You'll want to check and configure your network and hardware settings,
might be useful to keep the RH configuration around until you're
comfortable with that.

In my own case, I use chroot to mount a 'debian jail' under a working
RedHat system, while configuring Debian.  When I was close to ready, I
booted with either a boot floppy or lilo prompt options to the new
partition.  When all set, I started nuking RH partitions and expanding
Debian across them.  This all last year.  Took me about six weeks
(working in littles) to get Debian worked out the way I wanted it, but I
had a live system the whole time.  Neat hat trick.