From: Krafthefer, Kevin [mailto:kkrafthefer@classifiedventures.com]
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2000 11:59 AM
To: 'Brian.Kimsey-Hickman@comptroller.co.orange.fl.us'
Subject: Re: Dual NIC Problem

Brian,

I've grappled with multiple nics a few times, most of the time successfully
but not always. Without being able to
pin-point your problem from here, I offer this advice:

potentially useful commands:
o  netstat
o  ifconfig

potentially useful files:
o  /etc/init.d/networks (basically, this is where your network configuration
is set):
o  /etc/networks
o  /etc/inet.d

potentially useful books:
o  Linux Network Administrators Guide, second edition is out (O'Reilly)

potentially useful words:
o  stick to ip addresses until you get you basic network functionality
working, then add a name server on a debian box
(not NT, microsoft's implementation of dns is limited and a bit unstable [go
figure]); get O'Reilly's dns/bind book for
name server configuration
o  you can bind multiple ip addresses to one nic, this can eliminate
possibilities of hardware conflicts between the nics
but exposes you to security issues

Good luck and stick with it. It will eventually work.
Krafty