Re: gpm locks out console keyboard

Hi,

I had few lockups and hard crashes with gpm previously.

1.  conflict with PCMCIA on Toshiba notebook (2.2 kernel)
--> Solution:  changed sequence of of daemon in rc?.d/.
   (I think gpm -> PCMCIA was good, but I forgot)
   Also inserting BASH script with readline between
   these daemon initiations avoided problem.  (Do not ask me why)
   I think this was console freeze and I did login from LAN to halt
   the system.  (That was Redhat 6.1 or so. )

2. One of the test kernel of 2.4 on SMP (BP-6/Celeronx2) crashed with gpm.
   Killed gpm and waiting for new version of kernel.  (This was
   not just a hang up but really hard kernel crash.  This is woody.)

I never had any other deamon caused this serious problem.

I feel gpm seems to be fragile piece.

Good luck.

Osamu