Re: auto power off

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 12:10:24AM -0400, John Anderson wrote:
> I was wondering if there is anyway in Debian, when I use the halt command
> the computer will shut off automatically if equpped with an electronic
> power switch.  Distributions such as SuSE and Redhat would shut down my
> computer in that manner.  Is there anyway to do this with Debian?

No.  (Just kidding).

_If_ APM support is compiled into the stock kernel (and it used to
be), add this line to your /etc/lilo.conf

  append="apm=on"

Run lilo, and reboot.

If that doesn't work, you need to build your own kernel.  You should
do this anyway to get rid of all the drivers you don't need.

Some tips:

1) Get the kernel source wherever you want.  You don't _have_ to use
   the debian kernel-source package if you'd rather download from
   www.kernel.org ...

2) Use Debian's "kernel-package".  it makes things a lot easier and is
   well documented.  For the RTFM impaired, here's a _brief_ synopsis:

   a) make menuconfig
   b) make-kpkg clean
   c) make-kpkg --revision=custom.2.2.17-0 kernel_image

3) Make sure you enable APM support, and enable the power off at
   shutdown option.

HTH,

--
Nathan E Norman                   "Eschew Obfuscation"
email:nnorman@incanus.net  http://incanus.net/~nnorman