Re: 2 questions package installs and TCP/IP startup script

Hi Mark!

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, Mark Simos wrote:

> 1.
> I am trying to install vim on a really bare installation of Debian. I
> have internet access that routes and resolves names fine.
>
> When I type "apt-get install vim vim-rt" or just about any other package
> name i see listed on Debian's site, i get back "E: Couldn't find package
> vim"
>
> I don't know where to begin troubleshooting this...

You probably don't have updated apt-gets database. If your
		/etc/apt/sources.list
is correct, you should run
		apt-get update

after this
		apt-get install vim
should work.

A sample sources.list could look like this:

deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free

> 2.
> Also I am not quite sure where to put my "ifconfig eth0....." and "route
> add default...." statements so they run on bootup
>
> Thank you and please forgive my windows roots :),

Configure your
		/etc/network/interfaces
file. An example can be founc in
		/usr/share/doc/netbase/examples/interfaces

If this is done /etc/init.d/networking should automatically configure
your interfaces upon boot.

HTH
					yours,
					peter