3dfx Banshee installation

Hi,

I'm relatively new to linux, so please excuse the
naivety.

I've recently installed potato, and I'm trying to add
support for my 3dfx Voodoo Banshee card. I've found
the 3dfx device driver on the CD and installed it, but
it seems to need to be compiled into the kernel. So I
found and installed the kernel source (v. 2.2.17), and
unzipped it into /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.17, and
added a symlink from /usr/src/linux. All ok so far.
But I then tried doing a "make-kpkg modules_image"
from there (this was from the instructions
somewhere... in /usr/share/doc/device3dfx I think),
and there was an error - no .config file.

Searching further, I eventually ran "make menuconfig",
which created the .config file. So I ran make-kpkg
again, and this time it says I'm missing a file
"modversions.h".

On a hunch I installed the kernel-headers-2.2.17
package, which seems to have the file in it, but since
it installs into /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.2.17, it
doesn't seem to be visible when I try to make from the
/usr/src/linux dir.

Can anyone help me? Is there something obvious I'm
missing?

thanks,
- Steve.

=====