apt-get and Slink

I'm having a few problems trying to successfully apt-get packages on a Slink
system
(yeah, I know I should upgrade to Potato, but not quite yet :) )

rat:/var/lib/dpkg# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian slink main contrib non-free

I can retrieve the package list with no problems...

However, the package list being picked up looks like its coming from stable,
not slink...

Take proftpd as an example package (the one I'm trying to install,
incidentally)

The version in the slink section in the ftp archive is 1.2.0pre9-4

But according to /var/lib/dpkg/available its looking for 1.2.0pre10-2

Here is an example apt-get output to show what I mean

  proftpd
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 26 not upgraded.
Need to get 346kB of archives. After unpacking 767kB will be used.
Err http://ftp.au.debian.org slink/main proftpd 1.2.0pre9-4
  404 Not Found
Failed to fetch
http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-alpha/n
et/proftpd_1.2.0pre9-4.deb
  404 Not Found

What have I done wrong here?

PS: If it makes any difference, this is for an alpha box, not i386...

- Chris Kenrick