apache-newby: permissions?

I have succeeded in setting up apache on my single computer and get
netscape and lynx to communicate with it.

My next problem is that I do not know how to configure apache to allow
me as user to execute .cgi-scripts from the server.

When I try it I get the following error message:

  Forbidden

   You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/sql-ledger/admin.cgi
   on
   this server.

I want to try out php3 which I have never used before.  I get a
similar message when I try to access
http://localhost/usr/doc/php3/html.

My /etc/apache/access.conf contains

------------------------
<Directory /var/www>
Options All
AllowOverride None
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>
<Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin>
AllowOverride None
Options All
</Directory>

<Directory /usr/doc>
Options All
AllowOverride None
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from localhost
</Directory>

<DirectoryMatch ^/home/.*/public_html>
Options Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
AllowOverride None
</DirectoryMatch>

<Files .htaccess>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</Files>
And permissions on /var/www looks like this:

drwxrwxr-x   5 root     www-data     1024 Aug  8 21:52 www/

I work as user jhspies and I have added jhspies to group www-data.

What else can I do rectify the situation?

Johann

--
J.H. Spies, Hugenotestraat 29, Posbus 80, Franschhoek, 7690, South Africa
Tel/Faks 021-876-2337 Sel/Cell 082 898 1528(Johann) 082 255 2388(Hester)