Re: Cc: to poster (was Re: OT: less v. more...)

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 10:34:35AM -0500, Bolan Meek wrote:
> Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> >
> > On 02 Aug 2000, Bolan Meek <Bolan.Meek@wcom.com> wrote:
>
> > > One may assume that those whose names one sees often
> > > are subuscribed, but how to be sure, generally?  I propose
>
> >  ...In general, on open lists you should assume
> > one is reading the list s/he is posting to....
>
> Ah, good, so, with this assumption, one ought to remove the
> personal To:'s and Cc:'s, unless requested? (Like you did..)

$0.02:

Posts to list are responded to on list.  Mutt supports this through the
"L" (rely to list) keybinding.  This also gets around (and moots) mailing
list software that defaults to "reply to sender" rather than "reply to
list".  My procmail filters tend to dump list mail cc's to my list folder
-- cc's to me just result in duplicate items within the list folder.

I'll cc a person who requests an off-list response.  I generally don't
cotton personal requests I recieve as followups to a response I've made
on list (with or without a cc), though a status update is sometimes
interesting.

I'll forward a direct support request made to me rather than a list to
the list unless it comes from a personal friend.  I find this behavior
unspeakably rude.  I've had this policy for years on a number of mailing
lists.

...and I generally try to scan headers to see that I don't propogate cc:
lists, though I'll sometimes slip.