Re: X windows update

* Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <shaleh@valinux.com>

> On 03-Aug-2000 Ed Murray wrote:
> > Can anybody help please?
> >
> > I have an on-going problem starting my X Server each morning.
> >
> > I get the following error:
> >
> > X:  Server socket directory has suspicious ownership, aborting:
> >
> > I change the ownership on the /tmp/.X11-unix directory to root.root each time
> > but
> >
> > when I reboot the problem is back again.
> >

> $ cd /
> $ ls -al
> <snip>
> drwxrwxrwt   11 root     root         2048 Aug  2 15:28 tmp
> <snip>
>

> make sure the perms match that.  Also, /tmp should be emptied on reboot.  If
> this is not happening, turn it back on.

I am experiencing the same problem, and I think the problem is not in
the /tmp permissions (which are correctly set on my system, anyway), nor
in the cleaning of /tmp.

What seems to happen is that /tmp/.X11-unix gets group ownership from
the user starting X.  If the X server is started by gdm, /tmp/.X11-unix
is owned by the `gdm' group, if I stop gdm and do

startx

the same directory is owned by my group.  Both result in the above error
and one has to stop the X server and change group ownership on the
directory to get it working.  I wondered if this might be a setgid
problem of some sorts, but haven't really found a solution yet.

--
Kjetil