apt-get & byte compile problem

A few weeks ago, while upgrading from slink to potato, during the
install process, I answered "yes" to a prompt to byte compile the
newly installed files. Since then, whenever I have installed new
packages (apt-get -install or apt-get -update -dist-upgrade) the
files are bytecompiled when installed.

This is not the behavior I want from apt/dpkg, particularly since the
installer seems to remove the (for example) *.el files after byte
compiling, so I cannot modify the original files.

I have not been able to figure out how to remove the instruction to
byte compile incoming files - any help or suggestions will be
appreciated.

Thanks
--
Peter Mickle