Re: apt-get new helixcode gnome

Quoth Jeronimo Pellegrini,

> And how would you rate it? Is it worth the download? Also... Ithink I
> tried some pre-release of it before, not sure, but I remember a my
> configuration got screwed... Did it happen with helix on your box?

I'm using it with an up-to-date potato system, and I must admit that I
really like it. There are a lot of updates that we have not previously
seen with debian packages, like the nice glowing effect when you move
the mouse over a button on the panel. It also contains the latest
sawfish/sawmill and heaps of themes for sawfish and gtk, so you'll
probably spend hours just trying to work out what combination of themes
you want to use. Also nice is how it displays proper,
application-specific icons in the task-bar, rather than a generic icon
for everything.

I've only had one problem, which is that, from the Helix GDM, if I
select GNOME, it'll just exit straight back to the GDM screen. However,
I've but an .xsession file, which just starts gnome-session, and if I
select Xsession in GDM, it all seems to work alright.

I haven't noticed a huge change in stability, but GNOME has always been
pretty stable for me anyway. I'd say that, if how your desktop looks is
reasonably important to you, it's worth an upgrade. If you're more than
happy with twm and a few xterms, then you probably don't need to bother
:)

Also worth noting is that on the helixcode site they say that you just
need to do an apt-get install task-helix-gnome once you have it in your
sources list. I found that you need to do an apt-get upgrade to get
everything working properly (or else weird things fail in weird ways).

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller (dm-sig6@empire.net.au) /  It's not a sense of humor.
* Criminologist                     /  It's a sense of irony

- Running Debian GNU/Linux: Doing my bit for World Domination (tm) -