Advice required - Macjanet to debian/netatalk/samba

Okay - bear with me for the explanation on this.

I work at a secondary school (3)...  we have a room of Macintoshes, with
27ish LC2s on ethertalk (10baseT ethernet).  They tend to die in
interesting and expensive to fix ways (1)

The current Macintosh server is a SE/30 with 16 Mb ram and a 2G SCSI drive.
 It runs Waterloo Macjanet, and there is one HP Laserjet 4M+ with a
jetdirect.

Thats the current situation.  We have been donated a dozen Compaq 486s and
I have obtained a P120 with 96 Mb ram and 3 Gb of scsi disk (2) which I
intend to use as a server for this room.  The room in question is not
attached to the rest of the network, and will not have any internet access,
however it is fully cabled for 10baseT.

I intend to use the remaining 27 macs and 5 486s to bring the number of
terminals back up to a class size.

My questions:

Can netatalk and samba cooperate nicely in such an environment?
What print charging solutions can deal with a mixed mode environment?
LPRng or LPR ?
What packages should I grab now while it has net access ?
What pitfalls might I strike?

(1)	Macintosh Power-insert, Power-eject floppy drive goes for about $480
NZ, which is approximately $230 US at current rates.
(2)	Got it at an auction - it was labelled as having a 1 Gb drive plus a 2
Gb drive, so I check the back and its SCSI.  It was also supposed to have
16 Mb ram, and had 96.  The final price was $475 NZ... I think I scored
well :)
(3)	Avonside Girls' High School in Christchurch New Zealand
http://www.avonside.school.nz/

--
Criggie