Re: XF4.0 Modelines?

Dan Brosemer <odin@linuxfreak.com> writes:

> My typical strategy for configuring X is to go through xf86config and then
> try to start X many times deleting modelines from the XF86Config file when
> they fail (my monitor stays black).  This worked great for all of the 3.3
> series.
>
> I compiled XF86 4.0 and installed it, but when I tried this, I found that
> there were no modelines in the XF86Config file.  A search of xfree86.org
> yeilds nothing helpful, I was wondering if someone could tell me what
> happened to them or offer a better way of getting X working.
>
> I have a Permedia 2 based reference board and a GoldStar Studioworks 78i
> monitor.  Entering the specs for the monitor (hsync and vrefresh) leave me
> with a blank screen (and the monitor in sleep mode) with both XF4.0 and
> 3.3.x.

1. check that your video-card is supported by xf4.0
2. if it's a recent monitor: xf4.0 supports some kind of channel that is
   used to collect hardware-specs.
3. the format for XF86Config has changed. Look at the current documentation
and then I assume you can just enter your current modelines in the format
required for xfree86 4.0.

... http://www.xfree86.org/4.0

- try www.linuxhardware.net, although I am not sure whether they
have monitor-specs
- search at www.deja.com (search newsgroups)
- try comp.os.linux.x or the other (xfree86-specific) newsgroup

--
Felix Natter