Sendmail configuration

I have sendmail running on my local network and sending mail to my ISP
every day in a cron job.  But local mail only gets sent once a day as well.
So I would like to send local e-mail immediatly and defer (queue)  Internet
mail for the cron job.  I saw an article which said comment out the following
but that dosen't appear in my slink sendmail.cf file.  Reading the sendmail.org
FAQ, it mentions various things including removing DNS lookups
and 'ServiceSwitchFile'  and I couldn't get it to work.
Has anybody got this sort of configuration to work?
I don't use exim because I export /vaar/spool/mail
I haven't tried qmail since the info suggests (depeding on MDA) it dosen't
spool mail to /var/spool/mail.

--

	Regards from Chris