Re: hacked my Linux Box

Hi,

"Dzuy M. Nguyen" <linux_dzuy@hotmail.com> writes:

> Someone hacked into my linux web server and caused some problems.  I'm still
> trying to figure it out.  Anybody have a good link for linux security?

www.securityfocus.com has some decent information, though the Javascript
they use is a PITA.  Also, try www.rootshell.com or a dozen others which
have slipped my mind for now.  You should find links from these two stites.
It's vitally important to keep abreast of the latest security updates,
especially for a production machine.  I think debian-security@lists.debian.org
will carry all the security notices.  Check the archives.

> I'm not sure how they got in, so any suggestions would be great.

A current favourite is ADMROCKS, if you're running DNS on that machine.
Take a look (based on potato) at /var/cache/bind and see if it's got a
file called ADMROCKS sitting in there.  Versions of bind < 8.2.2P3 are
vulnerable (IIRC).

For a system that's purely a web server, the best bet is a dodgy CGI
script.

--
Graeme.
graeme+sig@mathie.cx

"Life's not fair," I reply. "But the root password helps." - BOFH