Re: What are the most common causes of linux system hangs?

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 02:47:46AM -0700, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> doesn't do anything. I have to hit the rest button.

I wish my computer had a "rest" button!  ;-)

> With that in mind, does anyone have any personal experience concerning what
> the problem usually is in these cases? Motherboard? RAM? Has it ever helped
> anyone to *under*clock the CPU?

I was having some problems like this last week and it turned out that I
had set some resource limits for my own account too low.  The console
was dead as a result, but I could still reach the machine over the
network and reboot it remotely.

Can you get to the machine remotely when yours locks up?

Also, you should take a look in your /var/log/* files to see if there's
any clue in there as to what might have gone wrong in the last moments
before death.

What kernel version are you using?  And is it a stock Debian kernel, or
one you compiled yourself?  Are you running X when this happens?  etc.

When you have pared the problem down enough to be sure that it's nothing
you did :-) you could get on the linux-kernel list (look in the archives
and newsflash page first) and see if there are any known problems with
your hardware.  You may wish to try the linux-admin list as well,
before bugging the developers and others on that list.  Somewhere there
is an answer, it just has to be found.  :)