Another install on an old 486

I am planning on getting a cable modem or DSL hooked up soon and am
looking to setup a firewall (IP masq) for that connection.

I am having trouble getting Debian to install on my old 486-33.
I have a Sony cdu31a attached to an ISA SoundBlaster MultiCD sound card.

I created a rescue floppy and could not get the installer to recognize
the CD-ROM.
So I created the Driver floppy and 8 base floppies necessary to install
the base system.

During the install, I told the program to include the cdu31a module on
I/O port0x230.

The installation continued I rebooted from the boot floppy and now I am
trying to
get the rest of the system off the CDROM.  I am in dselect and trying to
Assign (?)
the location to find the packages.  I select CDROM and is asks me to
insert the
CD in the drive and enter the block device name.

What's the block device name?

I tried /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdu31a, /dev/sonycd and none of these worked...

Is there some other naming convention?

I looked in /proc/modules and it reported that block device 15 was a
cdu31a.
This leads me to believe that the module was installed.

I also cannot mount the CDROM... mount -t iso9660 -r ro /dev/cdrom
/cdrom
gives me an error message about /dev/cdrom.

Is there something else I should try???
(outside of getting an IDE expansion card and an IDE CDROM, that is)

Thanks in advance for your help!

.Mike.