Re: how to email distribution lists...?

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 12:59:04PM +0200, Joachim Trinkwitz wrote:

> Have a look at bulkmail:

Thanks, Joachim -- I was skipping right over that one because of its
name; sounded like something more "industrial-strength" than I was
looking for -- but it does appear simple and straightforward enough.

>  Smartlist also contains a bulkmail-style tool.

I've been trying that one out lately; its archiving feature has some
promise, I think. (I prefer to send the folks on my distribution list
pointers to the retrieval of interesting text files, rather than jam
the text files into their mailboxes -- so an archive server could prove
useful indeed.  I'd handled this previously with an ever-increasing
collection of infobots/autoresponders, each with its own address, but
that was clearly gonna get out of hand before much longer. :-)

> Of course you can do this with any normal MUA, but wouldn't it be a
> pain to input 100 email addresses, even with an address book?

Absolutely, given the nature of the MUA's I've been able to find for
linux; every one of them seems to expect only certain linux-centric
formats in existing addressbooks. bulk_mailer seems to be a bit more
flexible in that regard, which might prove to be a great help

Thanks kindly, Joachim; much appreciated.
--

 -- Jeff --   <http://www.wellnow.com>

 "There's nothing left in the world to prove.  All that's worth doing
  is to love one another, using whatever means are available to serve."