Re: Frame Buffer Modes - 2nd post

* Kevin Traas (kevin@netmaster.com) wrote:
> Ashley Clark wrote:
> > Depends (I think), if you are using the vesafb then you are stuck with
> > whatever mode you choose at boot-up, if you are using one of the other
> > framebuffer drivers I *think* it is just a matter of picking the right
> > mode number to switch to a 80x25 mode whether it be graphics or text,
> > but it will still be through the framebuffer. You should know that I
> > have only a limited amount of experience with Linux framebuffers on my
> > laptop using vesafb.
>
> Hi Ashley.  Thanks for the reply.
>
> I'm using vga16fb to make it generic to several system platforms -
> regardless of the video card within the system.

Haven't had any experience with that one.

> I'd sort of figured that fbset was the way to go, and I even found some
> of the info I was looking for in the matroxfb docs (by chance and
> desperation).  However, I haven't been able to find modes that work with
> the vga16fb.  Back to, "Use the source, Luke!" thing, I think.

I'm not sure if you know this already or not but there's a package,
videogen, I think, that will generate fbset modelines. That might be helpful
in generating them, it takes all the relevant info and spits out modelines
for resolutions you define, pretty straightforward.

> The docs on this stuff is pretty sketchy and not all too comprehensive
> or friendly.

I'll give you that, I was extremely lucky to have mine work, but vesafb is
much easier to set up, if you have the hardware.

> Have you used fbset much?

Not really...

--
Ashley Clark