exim router configuration

A problem from a newbie of long standing:

I had a slink setup on my home computer which successfully fetched
mail (with fetchmail) from a number of servers for a number of virtual
users, ie I created users on my machine for the different email
addresses.  I sent mail out (with mail) through a (smaller) number of
ISPs using /etc/exim.conf to rewrite my address, eg

me@myhost		myname@myprovider1.com		bcfrF
myself@myhost		mynickname@myprovider2.com	bcfrF
alterego@myhost		einstein@blitzmail.com		bcfrF
mywife@myhost		matahari@sexymail.org		bcfrF
etc
etc

All went well until I tried to install linux 2.2.5 from a CD-rom.
I messed things up, reinstalled the whole system (slink), but then
muddled through an installation of 2.2.5 (and also apt-get update and
apt-get dist-upgrade) and the new system is more or less operative.

However, I had to redo /etc/exim.conf from memory and now, when I send
an e-mail other than through provider1, I get messages from exim
something like

host mail.provider1.com [190.190.190.190]: 550 <einstein@blitzmail.com>
... Relaying denied

I think the problem lies in the routers configuration part of
exim.conf. I have something analagous to:

smarthost:
	driver = domainlist
	transport = remote_smtp
	route_list = "* mail.provider1.com bydns_a;\
* smtp.provider2.com bydns_a;\
* mail.provider3.com bydns_a"

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? The thing is, it used to work.

David