Looking for a good mail program

As a rule I'm very happy reading my mail in Pine through a shell
account.  However occasionally I receive an attachment that I need to use
another program to view.  Can somebody recommend a good mail program
similar to pine that can handle attachments?  I don't want anything too
fancy.

Also do I need a separate program to fetch my mail off the server and if
so which do you recommend?

Having all of the software available in the Debian distribution is lovely
but I'm finding it difficult to choose from several different programs
that do the same thing, especially since the names don't usually mean
anything to me.

Thanks,
Hilary

Hilary L. Hertzoff			From here to there,
hhertzof@panix.com			a bunny goes where a bunny must.
hhertzof@wlsmail.wls.lib.ny.us		- Little Bunny on the Move
					  by Peter McCarty