Mail: Netscape and double-trouble

I'm using potato, and just discovered the first mail clients I tried (mutt and balsa) don't provide any filtering. So I figured I'd try netscape's mail.

My netscape (4.72) doesn't have any mail that I can see, and I couldn't find a package which seemed to include it. What am I missing?

On the general question of filtering, I just found a good discussion on this a few months back, so I'll look that over. It seems the general strategy is to do the filtering before it hits the email client (I'm using exim and fetchmail, though I'm not sure the latter is actually working yet).

There is a particular kind of filtering I have been thinking would be nice to do, and I'm curious if people have any idea about how to accomplish it: I would like to be able to tell if I get the same message twice, and put the first and the second copies in different places. This comes up in two ways: 1) I often get the same piece of mail twice, once routed to me and once to the list. I keep my correspondence in separate folders, and like the list folders to be complete. With Eudora, I have a filter which leaves things in the inbox if they are addressed to me directly, so I end up with the two copies in my inbox (this is not the mail spool, but the clients mailbox). That's good, because I see it. But I then move one copy into the list box, and one into my personal box on that topic. 2) Sometimes a friend sends mail to a list which includes my wife and myself. The goal here is one copy in her box, one in mine (it all comes in through the same pop account, but we use mail forwarding addresses).

It's not a big deal for me to proceed as I do now, but I'm curious if there's a way to automate it.