Re: boot from rescue floppy, install from cd?

In short: you will not to do anything about the CDROM
as far as it is a SCSI or IDE one. If you have a
proprietary card for it (no very likely), you'll have
to insert a proper module for it during the
installation.

Longer, but MUCH better: Read Debian Installation
Manual located on the first CD of the Debian Set in
/doc/install.txt

Radim