USB w/ Epson Color Stylus 740 [was Re: sound hell]

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 james@C638080-A.sttln1.wa.home.com wrote:

> so, while i'm here, i have one last thing until this whole setup is
> perfect. does anyone know about the current support for USB devices? i
> have an Epson Stylus Color 740 w/ USB i'm trying to get to work.
> though no luck so far. can't find a HOWTO for the life of me on
> this.....

The Stylus Color 740 works great for me. I'm running Potato (2.2.14
kernel) with the backport of the 2.3.x kernel USB code. Check out
www.linux-usb.org for details of getting USB supported by your kernel. You
have two options: run a 2.3.x kernel or use the backport to get the 2.3.x
USB code into your 2.2.x kernel. Once you have determined that you have
added USB support to your kernel you need to create an appropriate device
file for your printer. Here's the listing for mine:

jason@asgard:~$ ls -l /dev/usb
total 0
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     180,   0 Feb 29 17:42 usblp0
jason@asgard:~$

Note that it's in the /dev/usb dir. I just followed instructions on one of
the Linux USB sites regarding printing in Linux with USB support. For more
security you could set up a user group called print and then set the
appropriate ownership and permissions on the device file.

Once you have the USB support in your kernel and the device file, you must
set up your printing software. Read the printing HOWTO. I use lprng for
print queueing and apsfilter for print filtering. Make sure that your
/etc/printcap as created by apsfilter points to the appropriate device
file! BTW, both lprng and apsfilter are Debianized packages available at
your nearest mirror via apt.

I can print directly from any application and the command line without any
problems, color and all. I still need to learn some more about the
resolutions and how color printing ties into it. Sometimes my color
printing has poor resolution. I'm sure there is a way of improving the
color output as the apsfilter test page looked great! Apsfilter created 5
different printer entries in /etc/printcap. I'm guessing that I need to
send my color jobs to a different queue so that apsfilter processes them
appropriately before sending them to the printer.

Good luck,

Jason

Jason Christensen                  Ideas won't keep;
jason@jasonchristensen.net         something must be done about them.
www.jasonchristensen.net                     - Alfred North Whitehead