Re: Unusual Lilo "LI" problem

Quoting Marc Moody (marc@matwreck.org):

> > > I've recently install a new potato system that's been working well for a
> > > couple of weeks.  Yesterday I compiled a custom kernel
> > > (2.2.14) (installed using make-kpkg), and now I can't boot my Linux
> > > drive.  I CAN boot using the rescue floppy, and everything works
> > > fine.  Normally the "LI" problem was easily fixed by rerunning lilo, but
> > > that doesn't seem to be working.  This type of setup worked for a year
> > > and a half on my old system.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be
> > > grateful.
> > >
> > > I've been dual booting Win95 and potato on a SCSI disc with BootMagic.
> > >  /dev/sda1 is my windows partition, /dev/sda2 is my Linux partition.  I
> > > do have a tiny partition for the boot manager.  I've tried uninstalling
> > > lilo with lilo -u  and using it with and without the linear option in my
> > > conf.  I have an older IDE drive on /dev/hda1, but I don't see how that
> > > would cause a problem.

> lead to a solution however.  The problem seems to be my IDE drive on
> hda1.  I re-ran lilo after disconnecting the drive and everything works.
>  When I installed potato, it wasn't installed yet, so that's probably
> why my original setup was ok.

Well I was beginning to wonder how you managed for a year and a half,
and what this "LI problem" was that you could fix by rerunning lilo.

> This brings up a new question.  LILO
> keeps setting hda1 as the first drive.  Is there a way to get it to
> think of my SCSI disc as the first drive and still have the IDE
> connected?  Thanks for all your help.

I don't think this is a lilo issue, but a BIOS one. If you can't set
the scsi drive as the boot device in the BIOS, then you'll have to
install your boot loader on the ide disk as the BIOS will always go there
first. Of course, you might want to install it on both disks so that
you don't have to worry if you remove the ide drive again.

Cheers,