Re: what is the num value of "s" in -rwsr-x--- (chmod)?

john smith <inquirer23@hotmail.com> wrote:
: what is the "s" letter stand for? r stands for read access,w write, and x
: access files and subdirectories, I can even c a "d" i.e.
: drwxr-xr-x. what does those stand for and what are their numerical access
: mode values?

See "man 2 chmod" and "info ls"

to further add to my question, how do I give a user access so
: that he/she will be able to use the pppd/pon command?

Add them to group dip.

--
*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *